Saturday, May 21, 2011

About Live Dangerously! by Elizabeth Cox


(Please, please go read Live Dangerously! by Elizabeth Cox)
I get it, I guess. College kids will do what they will with the great thinkers. They will think what they like. I would just like to take a moment to list some things characters in a story should never say because people would never say these things. Bear with me.
“Dude, that professor blew it out.”
“Whoa! That is deep, dude.”
“That Nietzsche guy could cause some bad trouble with all he said.”
“Cool. Listen, I’m late. I’ve gotta split.”
“You hitting on me?”
“And then what?” he pleaded. “I mean, like, after the beer?”
“Listen, don’t get freaked. I’m just talking about Nietzsche, that’s all. I mean, was something wrong with him? I mean, like, was he nuts?
The most vapid, ridiculous college students in the world would never say any of those things. No one sounds like that.
Yes, we of the more recent generations may tend to abuse the word “like,” but here is a hint. If you see commas near it, then there is no way it will sound authentic in text.
I’m just saying you can mock people like this and have them speak like actually alive people would speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment